Parish of Saint John
(Jfirst gserbiccs 1783)
This Parish of Saint John was founded by those brave and resolute
people, who because of their loyalty to the British Crown, sacrificed
their homes and possessions and came here where they established
themselves helping to lay the sturdy foundations of our Dominion of
These Loyalists arrived here on May 18th, I 783 and such was their
faith in God they established this Congregation. Between 1783 and
1 786 missionary clergy ministered to the needs of the people. In 1 786
the Rev. George Bisset became the first Rector of the Parish of Saint
John. Up to that time the people had worshipped in a little Church
known by no other name than "The Parish Church". As this building
was too small for the congregation, the Rev. George Bisset began a fund
for a new Church, but died in 1 788 a few months before the corner-stone
was laid by the Rt. Rev. Charles IngHs, first Bishop of Nova Scotia.
This Church known as "Old Trinity" was built in 1 791 , the first Service
was held on Christmas Day the same year. It was consecrated in 1 792
and served the community until it was destroyed in "The Great Fire"
on June 20th, 1877. Under the energetic leadership of the Rector of
that day, the Rev. Canon F. H. J. Brigstocke, the new Trinity Church
was built and consecrated on December 9th, 1880 by the first Bishop
of this Diocese, the Rt. Rev, John Medley and Metropolitan of Canada.
The people of this historic Parish of Saint John have given the lead
in missionary zeal and Church Extension. In 1821 St. George's Church
was built and the next year vvas transferred by deed to the new Parish
of Carleton. This was the first division of the Parish of Saint John.
As the Parish was growing rapidly it was thought advisable to build
another Church. There was much debate whether it would be built of
wood or stone, but finally stone was used. The new Church, St. John's
(Stone Church) was completed in 1825 but remained part of our Parish
until 1853 when the Parish of St. Mark's was created. The fifth Rector,
the Rev. B. G. Gray had under his care for many years the people in the
Parish of Portland. In 1829 Grace Church was built and opened for
Divine Worship but it was not until 1835 that the Church was conse-
crated by Bishop Inglis. In 1851 St. James' Church was built in the
southern part of the Parish of Saint John and consecrated that same
year. In 1852 it became the Parish of St. James.
Over the great West Door there hangs the Royal Coat of Arms.
This historic treasure once rested in the old Council Chambers in Boston.
During the American Revolution it was taken down by Edward Winslow
and according to his letter, which we possess, it was sent on here after
hostilities were ended. The beautiful Communion Silver, the gracious
gift of King George III, consists of two Patens, one Chalice, two Flagons,
and on each is engraved the letters "G" "R" with the Royal Coat of
Arms surmounted by a Crown.
The Carpet in the Sanctuary is needlepoint and was made around
1880 under the superintendance of Mrs. Brigstoke, the then Rector's
wife, who had a group of women members of the congregation to help
her. It is made of Berlin wool.
The Reredos, of Gothic design, is of richly carved wood, decorated
and gilded, and was erected in 1902. The centre panel depicts the
Crucifixion. On the left is The Appearance of Our Lord to Mary Mag-
dalene in the Garden on Easter Morning. On the right is Our Lord
being made known to the Two Disciples at Emmaus on Easter Evening.
The figures of the Saints on each side of these panels reading from left to
right are: Saint Peter with crossed keys; Saint Mark with pen and book;
Saint Luke writing in a book and Saint Paul with sword and book.
Arthur E. Coleman,
Rector of the Parish of Saint John.
(lectoAA. 0^ ^Ue Palillt a£ Saint fJaUn
Rev. George Bissett, M. A.,
Formerly Rector of Trinity Church
Newport, Rhode Island,
U. S. A.
Rev. Mather Byles, D. D.,
Forme.ly Rector of Christ Church
Boston, Massachusetts, in 1776 was
appointed Chaplain to the Garrison in
Halifax, N. S.
Rev. George Pidgeon,
Formerly Rector of Fredericton,
for 23 years.
Formerly Chaplain in the Royal Navy,
Afterwards Rector of
St. Paul's Church, Halifax, N. S., and
Archdeacon of the
Diocese of Nova Scotia.
Rev. B. G. Gray, D.D.,
Formerly Rector of St. George's Church,
Halifax, N. S., and
Chaplain of the Garrison
In this City
For Twenty-seven years.
Rev. Canon John W. D. Gray, D.D.,
Formerly Rector of
Amherst, Nova Scotia.
Fourteen years he served as
Curate of this Church,
and Twenty-eight years as Rector.
The first Honorary Canon of
Christ Church Cathedral. Fredericton
Rev. James J. Hill, M.A.,
Formerly Rector o; Newport,
One year he served as Curate of this
and five years as Rector.
Venerable F. H. J. Brigstocke, D.D.,
Graduate and Exhibitioner of
Jesus College, Oxford,
Honorary Canon of
Christ Church Cathedral, Fredericton,
and Archdeacon of Saint John.
Rev. Canon John A. Richardson,
Afterwards Archbishop of Fredericton.
Rev. Canon Robert A. Armstrong,
Afterwards Rector of
the Church of the Redeemer,
Rev. Canon C. Gordon Lawrence,
Now Chaplain at Trinity College School,
Port Hope, Ont.
Rev. Arthur E. Coleman,
B.A., L.Th., D.Cn.L.,
$art£f) of ji>atnt lofm
Rev. Arthur E. Coleman, B.A., L.Th., D.Cn.L.
Rev. Canon C. LeRoi Mooers, B.A., D.Cn. L.
Rev. H. Oswald Slattery
Mr. Justice W. H. Harrison
L. C. Rudolf
C. V. Emerson
H. L. Leck
P. M. Blanch et
J. A. Little
G. B. Peat, M.D.
W. J. Bambury
James S. Hoyt
A. Clinton Regan
L. W. Bewick
F. H. Hazen
P. S. Allison
1 1 5 Charlotte Street
Ruth L. Clarke
A.R.C.O., Mus. Bac.
Oscar L. H. Griffith
184 Princess Street